facebook twitter
Teme Triangle

Teme Triangle Clifton Upon Teme • The Shelsleys • Lower Sapey

What's On

Where to find us

The Shelsleys 

Although The Shelsleys are quiet today, they are steeped in bloody history.

Shelsley Beauchamp is where Oliver Cromwell stood on the ridge at Pudford and shelled Homme Castle, (today a farm house), and it's said that canon balls have been found in the river. Nearby is a round motte which could be pre-Roman, but there is little left of the old castle.

The Church of All Saints is probably 14th century, although only the original tower now remains.  The bells, cast by John Rudhall of Gloucester were brought to Shelsley Beauchamp by way of the river.

In 1405, with the help of France, the Welsh rebel leader Owain Glyndwr invaded England. He met the English forces few miles north of Worcester.

In Shelsley Beauchamp the two armies faced each other; the English on Abberley Hill and the combined Welsh/French forces on Woodbury Hill.


The armies never engaged in battle, but a few small skirmishes took place and the stand-off lasted eight days before Glyndwr retreated, put off by the continuous rain. With their supply routes blocked, the Welsh began to starve. Henry stood down his army and the Welsh headed home.

Shelsley Walsh lies to the south west on the opposite bank of the river Teme and is the home of Britain's oldest continuous motor sporting event.  
The event was first held in 1905 before racing on public roads was banned and, except for the war years, racing has taken place here every year since.  www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk

The hillclimb track at Shelsley Walsh was originally leased to the Midland Automobile Club by Montague Taylor, who lived in the 16th century Court House, formerly the home of the Walsh family, at the time of the Gunpowder plot.   Each Hillclimb begins with a service in the tiny church of St Andrews. It dates back to the 12th century and has some fine features.  Since 1981 has been registered as a charity to safeguard its future. The Hillclimb is leased to the Midlands Automobile Club by the Winnington Estate.


Shelsley Kings is the smallest of the three hamlets, overlooking the river valley. Shelsley Beauchamp, Shelsley Walsh and Shelsley Kings are all part of the Shelsleys' Parish Council.